Thursday 12 June 2008

Red, White and Pink

It has been a long time since I have been moved to post something. The pace of life in the Capital of Europe leaves little time for thinking - let alone posting - but I was walking to work the other morning and was forced to stop and wait while a large Delhaize truck was stuck at a road junction blocking my way across the road.

I just sort of stood there for a while in the usual early morning daze but then I looked at the side of the truck across which was blazoned 3 huge bottles of wine. I must have been on the Flemish side of the truck as the captions read 'Wit', 'Rood' and 'Rosé'. This got me thinking about the merits of different colours of wine.

Maybe white wine makes you witty and red wine makes you rude and rosé is obviously rosé by any other name. My preference is for Red - mainly because you don't have to plan ahead and get it chilled but perhaps that is not the best way to go. When I was a child I used to think that rosé was red wine but diluted - probably with white wine. Maybe that means that it makes you witty but not too much and with just the right amount of rudeness. It certainly gives you a rosy glow.

I was reading the works internal magazine (bit bored at work at the moment) and came across the following article:

Some Rolling Stones with your wine?
Music can influence the taste of wine. Different types of music stimulate different parts of the brain, and prime us to taste wines in a corresponding way. Researchers discovered that when a powerful piece of music such as Carmina Burana is heard, a Cabernet Sauvignon is perceived as being 60% more powerful, rich and robust than when no music is heard. Other suggested music included "Honky Tonk Woman" by The Rolling Stones to accompany Cabernet Sauvignon.

Where do they test these things and why wasn't I invited? Blodders and I will try and conduct our own tests in Rome this weekend and let you know our findings - if we can find our way home that is.

4 comments:

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I would suggest a Rosé d'Anjou with Pink Floyd, a Muscadet with the White Stripes, and a robust Burgundy with Simply Red.

The Aunt said...

The White Stripes are worth the cheapest, nastiest Japanese whisky you can find. They have the same effect on my nerves.

Honey said...

can't drink wine for the moment unless it's got sugar in it it all tastes OFF which is not fair. but an absolute delight to see you back again, hurrah and lovely to see you the other night too, x

Scouse Doris said...

Daffers - very good choices I think - I will try Pink Floyd with me experimental Rosé

Auntie - Get back in your pram and don't buy any more Japanese whisky

Honey - There is more than one way to skin a cat and lovely to see you too!